Follow the guidelines. It is easy and you won’t forget the taste.
Okro is a vegetable known in French as gumbo while in US its called Okra.
Okro is a source of dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins and a low-calorie vegetable.
Vegetables that you can add to prepare slimy okro meal.
You can choose varieties of protein to prepare your meal.
- Goat/cow meat
- Fresh fish
- Cow feet
- Any dry fish of choice
- Okro/okra quantity depends on individual preference.
- 4 pieces Garden eggs (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda/kanwe
- 200 mls red palm oil/vegetable oil
- 3 pieces medium-sized onions
- 1/2 pieces of ginger/garlic
- 3 medium size fresh tomatoes
- 4 pieces bell pepper (kpakposhito)
- 1 piece salted fish(optional)
- 1 pound cow feet/chicken
- 1 pound wele/crabs
- Salt/ seasoning cubes
- Wash okro and garden eggs
- Chop okro and garden eggs into smaller pieces
- Put chopped okro into a clean saucepan, add water to cover
- Add baking soda or kanwe (helps make it slimy)
- Cook it for about 8 minutes
- Set okro aside when soft
- Wash your meat thoroughly
- Chop meat into sizes and place in a cooking pot
- Add salt and seasoning cubes, add a little water and place on heat
Cover it with lid and allow it to boil
- Chop and blend onions, ginger, pepper and garlic until smooth
- Pour the blended mixture into pot and allow meat to cook until soft. Here you can add your crab and wele if using
- Pour some palm/vegetable oil into a saucepan and place over medium heat
- Sliced onion pieces and add to oil
- Add salted fish
- Cook for about 3 minutes
- Wash tomatoes, chop and add to the sauce
- Cook until soft
- Add your steamed beef, boiled crab and wele to the mixture
- Add herrings or salmon if using
- Stir and leave it to cook for about 10 minutes
- Pour into the mixture your cooked okro and stir thoroughly
- Add salt to taste
If you like okro stew less slimy, cut into larger chunks and also avoid baking soda or kanwe.
You can serve okro stew with: