Groundnut soup is a delicious and hearty dish that is popular in many West African countries, including Ghana, Nigeria, and Senegal. Made with peanuts, meat or fish, and vegetables, groundnut soup is a rich and flavorful stew that can be served with rice, fufu, or other starchy side dishes. In this recipe, we will show you how to prepare groundnut soup with chicken and vegetables.
- 1 pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped spinach or kale
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Begin by roasting the peanuts in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, you can roast them in a dry pan over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Once the peanuts are roasted, remove them from the oven or pan and let them cool.
- In a food processor or blender, grind the roasted peanuts until they form a smooth paste. Add 2 cups of water and blend again to create a peanut milk. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste, ground ginger, ground coriander, ground cumin, and chili powder (if using) to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Pour in the chicken stock or water and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots and potatoes to the pot and let them cook for 10-15 minutes until they are tender.
- Return the browned chicken pieces to the pot and stir in the peanut milk. Let the soup simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors have melded together.
- Finally, add the chopped spinach or kale to the pot and stir until wilted. Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with rice, fufu, or other starchy side dishes.
Groundnut soup is a hearty and delicious dish that is perfect for a cold day or a special occasion. By following this recipe, you can make a flavorful and nutritious groundnut soup that your family and friends will love. Feel free to experiment with different types of meat, vegetables, and spices to create your own unique version of this classic West African dish!