Light soup is a popular Ghanaian dish that is often served with fufu, a starchy staple made from cassava and plantains. This soup is usually light in color and has a slightly spicy flavor that comes from the combination of ginger, garlic, and other herbs and spices. In this recipe, we will show you how to prepare a delicious light soup with meat that is sure to become a favorite in your home.
- 1 pound of meat (beef or goat)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh herbs (such as parsley or cilantro) for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, ginger, and garlic, and cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes break down and the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add the meat and stir to coat with the tomato mixture.
- Add enough water to cover the meat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 1-2 hours, until the meat is tender.
- Add the thyme, coriander, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Continue simmering the soup for another 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve hot with your favorite fufu or rice, garnished with fresh herbs if desired.
- You can use any type of meat for this soup, but beef or goat are traditional choices.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, you can blend some of the cooked vegetables and meat with a little bit of the cooking liquid to create a puree, then add it back to the soup and stir well.
- Light soup can also be made with fish or seafood instead of meat. Simply substitute the meat for your preferred seafood and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
This light soup recipe is easy to make and packed with flavor. It is perfect for a family dinner or any occasion that calls for a hearty and delicious meal. Once you try it, you will want to make it again and again!