In this tutorial, you will learn how to remove the background from a picture in corelDRAW, and replace it with a different background using Pen and Shape tools respectively.
Program: CorelDraw X19 – X6
Estimated Completion Time: 15 Minutes
Who can learn this: Beginner & Advanced Designer – you should have basic knowledge in using Pen tool and manipulating Shape tool.
Step 1: Required Tools
All versions of CorelDraw will work just fine. In this tutorial, we will be using X19 on Windows 10.
Design in Part
Step 2: Creating a Worksheet or Work Environment
Straight to the field.
- Click New Document from Welcome Screen
From the Create New Document Window:
- Type a custom name at ‘Name’ field to replace Untitled-1
- Leave default document ‘Size’ as A4
- Change orientation to landscape
- Click ‘Ok’ to create new document
Step 3: Import Image to Work with
Our working environment is now set for work.
Let’s import the photo we will be editing.
- Click on File
- Click Import on File menu
- Select image from dialog box
- Click import to import image
- Click an empty space to complete the process
Step 4: Working with Pen Tool
- Choose Pen tool
- Click the upper part of the image
- Draw a shape in form of the picture you imported
- Click exactly the starting point of the shape to connect shape
- Highlight both shape and image together and click intersect
- Separate sketched photo from original
- Remove the shape around the cropped photo
You will notice only the portion marked by the Pen tool is cropped. With this, it is easier to work with the image and give it a new background.
If you are new to the Pen tool, you can learn everything you need to know about it and how to use it here.
Step 5: Working with Shape Tool
- Now, shape the image using the Shape tool. This is the second tool after the Select tool, upper left corner (Shortcut: F10)
There are many nodes generated. To create smooth edge and make the photo look natural; you have to delete some of the nodes and also convert others to curves.
- Click on a node
- Select the curve tool to convert to curve
- Click on the delete button to remove node
- Move the mouse pointer to the arrow upward or downward
- Drag it to create a curve at edges that are rounded e.g., shoulder, cheek etc. Learn how to use Shape tool here
- Final look of the shaped image
Step 6: Opening Background Image
Its time to import the background that will best fit our image.
- Click on File
- Select Open from the File menu
- Choose image from the dialog box
- Click Open
- Adjust the image you cropped on the background until it fits
Try with different backgrounds for best match.
Now you are done with your design. All you need to do is export it, share on social media or print it.
How to Export Picture Designed in CorelDraw
- Click on File menu
- Select Export
- Give the file a name in File name field
- Drop down Save as type panel and choose JPG
- Click Export to export the JPG file
- Click OK