Waist beads are jewelry pieces that a woman puts around her waist to ornament her body and go about her business unperturbed. It almost left the wearer with no challenge except the few disadvantages we are about to discuss.
Waist beads interfere with exercise at the gym and daily activities, serves as habitat and breeding area for bacteria without proper hygiene, also, glass beads may easily break injuring the wearer.
1. Interfering with Exercise
Waist beads may interfere with exercises and other activities.
During exercise, there are positions that may cause beads to become constricted or loose.
It may pull a woman’s hair and also rub the skin resulting to burns around the waistline.
- Remove beads when exercising
- Remove beads during activities that involve hard movement
- Adjust beads with hand when you feel uncomfortable
2. May Break in Aggressive Love Making
While this is rare, the woman and her partner should pay attention to the position of the beads when making love.
During aggressive love making; the beads may break, hence, cause injury to both parties.
Apart from breaking, frequent rubbing against the skin may irritate the skin.
3. Uncomfortable Bead Weight
Beads come in sizes; big, medium and small.
They are also made with different kinds of materials.
Also, to make beads look attractive you may want to wear more than one.
These could add extra weight making it uncomfortable putting around your waist for a long time.
- When you feel uncomfortable, try reducing the number
- Buy different beads
- Don’t put them on for long
4. Waist Bead Materials can Cause Allergy
Waist beads are made from varieties of materials.
Since our skins differ, you may be allergic to certain materials used for the production.
- Change beads when you feel uncomfortable
- Change beads or don’t make them so tight to the skin when you experience any sign of allergies e.g., itching, inflammation, rashes etc.
- Clean beads well before wearing to avoid transferring germs
5. Becomes Breeding Habitat for Bacteria
Waist beads mostly are put around the waist for as long as the wearer decides.
This is likely to harbor dirt and sweat during the day’s activities which could serve as habitat and breeding area for bacteria.
To prevent bacteria from growing around the waist,
- The wearer should spend enough time to clean the waist area frequently
- Bath warm water from time to time or clean the waistline with warm water
- Remove the beads occasionally and clean them thoroughly
- Wear beads occasionally
6. They are Hard to Fix on Strings
Fixing waist beads can be difficult because the holes are not wide and some of the strings are not stiff.
When fixing waist beads;
- Measure your waist
- Sit in a comfortable position
- Make sure you have enough light
- Use your finger tips to twist the edge of the string till it becomes hard and does not spread loosely
- Fix the beads one after the other
- To avoid beads from slipping out from the other end of the string; knot the string
- Fix waist beads at your leisure hour
7. Interfere with a Woman’s Hair
If a woman is hairy, waist beads can interfere with their hair and it can become painful.
The hair some times may be attached to the beads so, when the beads are moved, they may pull the hair.
- Trim hair frequently
8. You Need Help to Fix Waist Beads
Waist beads unlike neck or wrist beads are not locked before sold because they are not elastic as pants.
Some women find it difficult to wear it so they need help to fix it.
To fix waist beads, follow the instructions below:
- Measure your waist
- Adjust beads until you are comfortable
- Tie the string firmly
- Sit in a comfortable position or position yourself in front of a mirror
- Wear the beads from your leg
- Pull or roll them up until they get to your waist
9. Glass Beads are Breakable
Glass beads are pretty to watch but when these beads hit a hard surface, they can break. So, the owner must take extra care of them in order to keep the beads safe.
- Don’t hit beads on hard surface
- Keep in a safe box or container when you are not wearing it
- Keep out of reach of children
- Place them on hard surface gently
10. Beads are not Elastic
While this is an advantage to help determine your weight, it can also become hectic to adjust whenever you increase or decrease.
When you decrease in weight, the waist beads slip, and they also get tight when your body increases.
In order to adjust the waist bead;
- You must untie the string first
- Then remove or add beads to the string
- Hold the edges firmly and adjust beads until they fit you
- Tie beads when satisfied with measurement and wear
11. It Inflicts Pain or Breaks When Hardly Hit
In West Africa, where waist beads are commonly worn; students are caned at school and home.
I have witnessed on few occasions where teachers accidental hit the waist, causing severe pain or beads breaking.
Beside being hit by cane, when it is hit hard by any object, it will inflict pain.
- Students should remove waist beads before going to school
- Do not move around carelessly when canned
- Teachers should not correct students in anger
- Quickly draw your teacher’s attention when your bead is hit
- Parents shouldn’t hit their children’s waist
- Don’t engage in plays that are likely to cause friends to hit your waist
Waist beads are pretty jewelries, which adorns women. There is nothing actually to worry about beads. They are awesome accessories.
When you feel uncomfortable with your bead, you should change it or don’t keep it on for long.